Mork and Mindy II: This is a Phail, but it's a Well-Made Phail



This 70-licious short-sleeved jacket was made from a thrift store bedspread.  I know.  It's a little bit  different.  But it turns out that short-sleeved jackets are in right now and as you know, I've been making them for a while now, so I will happily take credit for their popularity.

This outfit was purely experimental.  When I did a female Mork-inspired character, I knew that I would not want to do anything with rainbow suspenders, because that would be too obvious.  I also didn't want to do a red jumpsuit with a silver triangle in front because I don't have any solid red fabric...



So I turned to his puffy vest that he wore in the first season, which was very popular in fashion in the late seventies/early eighties, hence my choice of using an old bedspread as the material.  I felt a little strange cutting the thrift-store bedspread into peices, not just because I liked the cool 70's butterfly print and was afraid to ruin it, but while I was previously using it as a doggie bed, one of the dogs accidentally pooped on it two days before starting this project. (Don't worry, I washed it and now it smells really nice!)



The final ensemble, however, turned out very odd-looking, in a bad way.  There is a disconnection between the three pieces.  I do think that it was an important learning experience to not pair a puffy top with a puffy bottom.  It's not flattering.  Besides that, the three pieces don't seem to belong together at all.  So for this I call Phail.




But the thing is, the jacket is very well made.  I don't think that I've ever drafted a notch collar that has folded and fallen and stood so perfectly around the neck as on this quirky-looking jacket!  So for that I call Un-Phail!  The jacket displayed by itself looks MUCH better.

Posted by Picasa

No comments: